The new National Selection Policies and Event Requirements for the Senior, Para and Underage Australian Rowing Teams are now available.
Thank you to all for your patience on these as we moved through a comprehensive review to create a clearer, transparent and efficient selection process for all our teams.
The 15 recommendations from the selection policy review, which we sent you earlier this month, are now reflected in the new policy and event requirements. Our review panel was chaired by the selection ombudsman Mark Williams and featured your peers Hannah Every-Hall and David Crawshay, as well as senior gold medal winning coach Rhett Ayliffe, and they went through a process of consulting with the rowing community and listening to all the feedback provided.
You can review an overview of the recommendations here but here is a quick snap shot of how they have been and will be applied practically:
- separate policies for each team type
- shorter and clearer documents
- four-year calendar of events to help you plan
- increased coach input into the selection of athletes
- greater emphasis on athlete performance during trialing
- introduction of an ombudsman for all teams
- clarification on the use of subjective assessments
- introduction of a Code of Conduct for Selectors (to be in place prior to Trials)
- development of a clear protocol to improve athlete communication throughout the selection process (to be in place prior to Trials)
Nominations Now Open!
Nominations for all teams (Senior, Para, U23, U21 and Junior) are now open. Nomination for the Senior and U23 teams will close on Monday 9th January 2017 . You can find all the Selection Policies, Event Requirements and details on how to nominate for a team on the Rowing Australia website here.
We trust that the new policies are easier to navigate and understand, however we encourage you to please get in touch with Bernard Savage if you have any questions on the Senior policies specifically. Please note for Para-Rowing specific queries, please email Gordon Marcks while for Underage specific queries, please email Jaime Fernandez.