The Rowing Australia Board and Council have collectively developed the ‘Rowing Whole of Sport Strategic Plan 2015 to 2020’ for Rowing in Australia which will be vital in ensuring the continued high performance success of Australian rowing as well as providing a blueprint for the further development of the sport as a whole.
The Whole of Sport plan features a collective vision and mission, supported by specific strategies and tactics for RA, its Member Associations and registered clubs, all of which contribute to the achievement of our overall vision, ‘to be the number one rowing nation in the world and Australia’s leading Olympic sport’. Our vision is powerful and unambiguous. It provides a common goal that unites the entire Australian rowing community. Achieving our collective vision will require Australian rowing to lead the world across all of its activities, from sustained international success, to its vibrant and inclusive community, its high quality events, right through to the safe, fun and healthy participation opportunities it provides for all Australians.
In order to ensure that the plan is achievable Rowing Australia and its Members have agreed tactics for the 2015 calendar year. At the end of each year the plan will be reviewed and refreshed at the strategic forum, including consideration of the long term tactical considerations, and achievable tactics will be agreed for the subsequent 12 month period.
The advantages of this rolling annual plan methodology are:
- To develop tactics (clearly defined actions) that are for delivery within the next 12 months and which activate our whole of sport plan
- To identify common priorities that RA and the Member Associations can deliver collectively
- To establish the KPIs by which we will measure our collective success in delivering the plan – the KPIs for each strategy are divided into two types:
- Underlying – being those that will remain constant for that strategy over the five years of the plan and will measure improvement
- Enabling – being those that will measure the achievement of the strategy in the immediate 12 month period and which contribute to the underling KPI
This whole of sport plan, the first for rowing, is vital in ensuring the ongoing development and growth of our sport. The fact that it has been collectively developed and that all parties to the plan have agreed to the direction of rowing and accepted roles and accountabilities in delivering the tactics is encouraging. This whole of sport plan provides the platform for Rowing Australia and its Member Associations to realise some major achievements for Australian rowing, capitalising on the collaborative approach in which the plan has been developed.
A copy of the Rowing Whole of Sport Plan is available below.